Friday, July 17, 2015

Brighten Up Baby! Brightening Masks are Here to Stay!

Skin not looking as bright and radiant as it used to? Skin tone looking dull? Looking in that mirror and saying "What the f*%k"?! Ladies in their 30's (40's, 50's and 60's), I'm talking to you!

So I have noticed in the past year or so that my skin is not as sparkly (yes, I said sparkly) as it used to be. While I was more than happy to bid adieu to my 20's (except wait, acne what the hell are you doing back?!?!) -- My 30's is turning out to be a bit of a skincare learning curve. I never used to worry about dullness, cell turnover or radiance. I took my younger (blemish prone) skin for granted. I naively believed that my skincare routine would generally stay the same as I entered my third decade of fabulous-ness. But this was not to be the case -- I started to develop the dreaded "zombie face" (insert dramatic scream here)

So after much online beauty stalking and accosting most salespeople at Ulta, Sephora and the occasional make up counter this is what I have come up with as my (current) favorite brightening masks.

Must Have: Garnier Dark Spot Treatment Tissue Mask


Sheet masks have recently become all the rage and a "must have" for your beauty routine -- and while many Korean brands have been making a splash in this niche market, I discovered this little miracle a while back. I was looking for something to battle those pesky acne scars (officially known as hyperpigmentation or as I like to call it the "skin devil"). Not only do these sheet masks help reduce areas of hyperpigmentation this mask also works to brighten you skin with a Vitamin C serum punch that gives you instant results. At $14.97 at Walmart (the one on Sawmill in Dublin sells them) or $6.49 found on Amazon for 6 masks, this has quickly become a staple in my skincare arsenal.

Why I Love It: Inexpensive, instant results and easy to use. (Won as Allure Best of Beauty Award in 2013)

Note of Caution: If you are sensitive to Vitamin C this product may not be for you!



While this is the most pricey brightening treatment I will be reviewing today, compared to other products on the market it really hits somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as price. Let's face it, you can spend a small fortune on skincare. There are pricey options abound, promising to cure your skincare blues --- just waiting out there to gleefully take your money. The Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel (Sensitive), in my opinion is worth the $39 price tag (Ulta.com) and delivers on it's promise.

Now you are probably wondering, why the "sensitive" peel? Some of you may be screaming, "Oh beauty guru, I do not have sensitive skin!" But wait, hear me out! If you have never had a chemical peel or even if you have and you hate having to hide your face while your skin recovers by peeling off (Mom, I'm looking at you) -- then this is the product for you. Mild enough to use twice a week and be able to leave the house immediately after use, this peel instantly brightens and evens out your skin tone. It uses alpha hydroxy acids to exfoliate your skin and reduce the signs of age by battling those evil "skin devils" -- hyperpigmentation. Literally, I can leave the house with NO MAKEUP on the minute I remove this peel. Also, I notice a visible reduction in my acne scars after the use of this product. I use it twice a week without fail -- in my opinion it is a miracle in a bottle.

Why I Love It: Organic beauty product (enough said), gentle yet effective and immediate results.

Note of Caution:If you have never used a chemical peel before or have sensitive skin please spot test this product before use. I have never had an issue with it irritating my skin but that doesn't mean you won't!


Last, but certainly not least is the Boots No.7 Beautiful Skin Energising Mask. (That is not a typo it is "Energising" -- it's British) I have loved Boots products ever since I lived in London. They are affordable and do not irritate my skin. This is a peel-off mask (yay, so fun!) that uses Vitamin C and E to exfoliate and brighten your complexion. Boots bills this product as hypo-allergenic on their website (but I know some are sensitive to Vitamin C so be aware). The Boots website sells this baby for $16.99 but you can also find it at your local Ulta or Ulta.com.

Why I Love It: Inexpensive, fun to use and provides that immediate boost we sometimes need.

Note of Caution: If you are sensitive to Vitamin C this may not be the product for you!

Well there you have it, my three (current) favorite brightening masks! Check back soon for my next post and pictures from my most recent Sephora bender! :)

Have a Beautiful Weekend!
XOXO - Ann




No comments:

Post a Comment