Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Fighting the Summer Oil Slick with Bioelements Kerafole

It's hot this time of year in Columbus, Ohio. It is also typically humid and just generally gross outside. This is the kind of weather that makes me want to hide indoors until the first snowflakes fall. I not only hate the heat, but I particularly hate was it does to my skin. About this time of year my typically normal to dry face turns into it's own oil slip 'n slide -- complete with a special added bonus -- a mountain of skin blemishes that crop up on my chin. It's that special time of year when the fight between my skin and the summer oil slick become an all out war.

Keeping that balance is difficult. I don't want to strip my skin, drying it out completely -- risking dry patches and skin irritation. But I also don't want to feel like my face is slowly melting on a daily basis.  Additionally, I need to manage these break outs -- because having to deal with acne scars is a whole 'nother set of problems in itself. So how do I keep my skin balanced, yet treated and not feeling oily? Well mostly it's been a lot of product trial and error but this week I will highlight several products that I have been recently using and found some success with.

First up Bioelements Kerafole:
Bioelements Kerafole is a deep cleaning facial mask. For normal to a oil nuisance, slather a little bit (it goes a long way) over your skin once or twice a week and leave on for 10 minutes. I do notice some tingling, very slight burning sensation -- however, despite the sensation this has never caused my skin any irritation or redness. I just mention this as a "head's up" so that you aren't dismayed if you try the mask. The Kerafole mask isn't clay based so it will not dry out your skin but it will give you a deep down cleaning that you are looking for when you skin is super oily. 

I have also used this mask as a intensive treatment -- it can be used as a 7 day purge -- an alternative use that is suggested on the package and product website. In the last couple of weeks my skin has been really congested and I was at the end of my rope. I used this mask every day for a week to do a complete purge of my skin. Keep in mind though, this mask is not recommended for continuous daily use so I try to do the 7 day purge as a last resort. But, if you are really in a bind and have had it with your oily, blemish prone summer skin, the 7 day purge really does work to clear up your skin without over drying it.

I love Bioelements products because they are a more natural skincare solution -- with no artificial colors or fragrances, and their products are not tested on animals.  Kerafole as well as other Bioelements products are packed with natural oils and extracts that are good for your skin. Kerafole contains ingredients like algae, ginkgo biloba, kelp, lavender oil, lemon oil, tea tree oil, chamomile, orange and clove. One things to keep in mind though, Bioelements products can be a little more pricey than your average drugstore brands. On the Bioelements website the Kerafole is $50.50 -- however, I found it for around $28 on Amazon. If you are a Hautelook fan Bioelements often runs on this flash sale website for anywhere from 30%-50% off retail. This is where I tend to purchase my Bioelements stash and as long as you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for your products (Hautelook sometimes takes forever to get your items to you) then you can often score big!

Why I Love It: Treats my "summer oil slick" without drying out my skin. The 7 day purge has saved my face on more than one occasion.

Note of Caution: If you are sensitive in any of the ingredients test before using. Does tingle (or burn) a little so if you don't like that sensation don't use. Contains tea tree and clove which some people are sensitive to.

For more ways to combat your summer skin follow my "Fighting the Summer Oil Slick" series!! Next up moisturizers for summer skin and cleansers!

Stay Lovely, Columbus!
XOXO - Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment